Suggestions for Backup Software

  • From: "R&J" <ronjacq@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 16:54:47 -0400

DropBox at www.dropbox.com <http://www.dropbox.com/>  is great and performs
real-time hot backups 24/7; however, at present, it will only backup the
files/folders that are in your "My DropBox" folder under "My Documents".

If you only need 2 GB of storage, it is free, otherwise it has a monthly
charge for 50 GB increments.  It keeps up to 30 backup copies of each file,
so if you keep editing and saving a document, you'll have the last 30
iterations.  If you accidently delete a file, the backup images remain until
you go out to their website and delete them.  The additional, up to 30
backup copies, do not count toward your allocated storage space either.

It is well worth reading the FAQ's on the website and then give it a try for
free.  There is a lot of other cool stuff, such as a public folder to share
browse access to a file, which could contain music, photos, etc, via a link
you e-mail to someone who does not have to be a DropBox member.  They also
say that they are working on the ability to designate other file folders to
be monitored for backup.

Ron