"Stuck" keys in JAWS

  • From: "Farfar Carlson" <dgcarlson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2010 12:03:37 -0800

Rose,

Good point. I'm so used to doing the left/right/left/right dance with the Alt,
Ctrl, Windows, and Shift keys that I forget it could be the answer.

Since time immemorial (or since JAWS 3.5 for me) there has always been a "suck
key" issue with JAWS. FS always blames it on the keyboard drivers of various
computers, but it's always there, no matter what computer I use.

Basically one of the modifier keys (Shift, Ctrl, Alt, Windows) get stuck  (not
physically but in the encoding buffer) as though they are being held down. It
does mess up what you're trying to do. For example if the left Ctrl key is
"stuck" and you press the letter C you might end up copying anything selected.
But usually it just interferes with your attempt to use Ctrl + some key and
doesn't recognize the Ctrl. Ditto for Alt, Shift, and windows.

The only solution ever proposed by FS is to rapidly press the left-and-right
pairs of the modifier keys to "unstick" them.

As I said, I do this so automatically that I don't even remember to mention it.
Thanks, again Rose.

Dave
Composed on a Dell Latitude 630 (but without a WebCam) in and around my Audio
Recording and Mixing Studios, San Jose, California