Re: Start Order of JAWS

  • From: "david poehlman" <poehlman1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 19:38:53 -0400

The reason you may not hear jaws till the hard disk racket stops is not
necessarily because it is not loaded but because it often will not announce
its presence till all other programs have loaded as is evidenced by the fact
that you have tested with jaws loading in both the start up group and as a
service.  One thing to also try is to take jaws out of the start mix and
load it by hand after windows starts.  You should find it takes about the
same time to start as it does when windows starts.  Lots depends on your
processor speed and the amount of ram you have.

Lastly, what can you remove from boot that will cut this time down?  It is
often possible to have less loading at start up than wants to load.  For
instance, it is not necessary to have instant messengers load at start up
although they insist ondoing so by default.  Other things like the real
player start up manager and other media programs start centers don't have to
be loaded at start up either.  Take a look in your start up folder and in
the system tray and see what you can do to lighten the load.