Re: Some way to blank laptop display

  • From: "Greg Epley" <gregepley@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 11:18:16 -0500

On my Inspiron 4000, Fn+F5 is reported to do two different things.  One is
reverse video, which doesn't work on the TFT LCD display, the other is to
change the display size at boot time.  The only function I'm getting is the
second, and if I press it once the computer is all the way up, it toggles
the display size from being full size to roughly one half to two thirds size
according to a sighted person.

Interestingly, I discovered in a Knowledge Base article on Dell's support
web site that if one presses Fn+F5 at boot, a list of shortcut keys is
displayed including any specific to that model.  I tried this, and it claims
Fn+D will blank the display.

However, upon trying this while the computer is up, neither Fn+D nor
FN+Shift+D (since the D in the list is capped) does anything according to a
sighted person.  Possibly JAWS is interfering with this.  The Dell Solution
Center key, the small rounded button to the right of the power button, has
always previously said escape when JAWS was running, as if JAWS was somehow
intercepting this keys' functionality.  For reasons unknown to me, because I
haven't touched any config on this key, I find that under JAWS 5.00.844 that
pressing the Dell Solution Center key puts the computer to sleep, at least
when it is docked in the APR; I didn't try it undocked because putting the
computer to sleep isn't what I'm trying to accomplish here, nevertheless
it's interesting behavior considering.

The other keys in the list seem to do what they're supposed to, but
unfortunately none of this helps me with getting the display to blank or cut
off to prevent prying eyes during use.
-Greg Epleys