RE: Some way to blank laptop display

  • From: "Grant Hardy" <grant_hardy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 07:06:23 -0700

Try the function key and f5.

-----Original Message-----
From: jfw-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:jfw-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
Greg Epley
Sent: Monday, April 19, 2004 6:44 PM
To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Some way to blank laptop display

Hi,
I know that if a person has a desktop PC, one can simply disconnect the
monitor or turn it off in order to prevent prying eyes from seeing on'e work
on the screen.

I want to be able to do this on a Dell Inspiron 4000 laptop, but Fn+F8 to
switch the display from LCD to CRT is apparently detecting there is no
external monitor attached, so it just flickers and returns to the LCD
display.

Is it possible maybe JAWS is somehow interfering with this or is it more
likely just detecting no external display like I'm thinking?

Does anyone know of a software that will blank the LCD panel on a laptop
that I might try?  I'd really like some privacy, and I'd like something that
doesn't require me to set the display palette to all black or something like
that, and it has to play nicely with JAWS 5.00.844.

I think this is on topic, but if not then please respond to me off list.
-Greg Epley