Re: Select all command

  • From: "Francis Daniels" <fdaniels@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 21:28:38 -0700

Hi Dave,

Having worked with older adults (one is 85), I can understand the difficulty in
teaching a concept, only to find the person has trouble with executing the
keystroke.  So I backtrack to try another way of doing it, and they cannot
remember it but do remember the first one.  Sigh.

I'm trying to get around that one, too.  It is not easy, since I work with 9 at
a time, all with different skill levels.  Some of them catch on to doing it
another way and others have trouble with it.  I have them talk about it - get
it all in the open so they can hear themselves talk about it and listen to
other  people discuss it from their perspective.  Then I sit on them to make
them do it the new way.  Heh.  Don't I wish!  No, we go over the new sequence,
having them practice it, saying the keystrokes out loud so they can hear what
to do next.  That's as far as I've gotten.

Teaching JAWS commands to an older population is difficult.  Some bring in
skills they have had when sighted, and they find it hard to change.  Some don't
learn well or take a looooong time to learn.  The vast majority hate taped
training and prefer a "live" person with them for the sessions.  But that's a
whole issue unto itself.

Anyway, this is what I have so far.

Francis