Re: Seeking accessible offline dictionaries

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 06:57:09 -0800

I don't know about this.  I downloaded a trial copy of the Houghton Mifflin
American Heritage version 4 (the current one) last night to try it out, and
it seems that the person who described using all sorts of Jaws cursor and
frame customization workarounds was right; "out of the box," I can't figure
out anything except to type a word in the search edit box where I'm
automatically placed at launch.  Once I've done that, no amount of pressing
the tab key or anything else you'd ordinarily do in a program to navigate
avails me at all.  I mean I can't do anything.  Nada.  Zip.  I also looked
at the Jaws help comments about the Random House Webster's Unabridged, and
the version it's describing as having a few Jaws scripts for it isn't, if I
remember correctly, what's for sale now.  It was late.  Maybe what I'm
remembering is that it *was* the same version, but that version, no matter
where I see it advertised, is described as being for Win 98, 200 and NT, but
with no mention of XP.  That seems strange.  You'd think, even if they
weren't ready to release a new edition of a major dictionary, they could at
least have their software people write a new version for the CD that would
support XP.

More coffee.  Need more coffee.  This is not very encouraging, so far.
up auti