Secure and Compatible Braille Display Initiative

  • From: "Zdenek Vopat" <zdenekvopat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 03:41:38 +0100

Hello listers:
this is what I found at:
http://www.freedomscientific.com/news/pressroom/2009/secure-compatible-braille-displays.asp
"(St. Petersburg, Florida - August 11, 2009) - Freedom Scientific, one of the
leading providers of assistive technology for people who are blind, announced
its Secure and Compatible Braille Display Initiative today.

The goal of this new program is to follow Microsoft's move to signed drivers to
improve security and compatibility for customers who use a Braille display with
JAWS. Under this program, Freedom Scientific will test Braille displays to
ensure compatibility with JAWS and then digitally sign the driver. Starting
with the JAWS 11 release later this year, only drivers that have been digitally
signed by Freedom Scientific will work with JAWS."...
"For those currently using JAWS with 32-bit Microsoft Windows® and a Braille
display whose driver was included in a previous English version of JAWS, there
will be no change. Freedom Scientific will include signed versions of all those
32-bit drivers in JAWS 11. If you have questions about your Braille display,
please call Freedom Scientific technical support.

However, all Braille display manufacturers will need to develop new 64-bit
drivers to support 64-bit Microsoft Windows - most new computers now come with
64-bit Microsoft Windows preinstalled. To support this effort, Freedom
Scientific created the Secure and Compatible Braille Display Program. The
program provides a driver development kit for third party Braille display
manufacturers and a test suite that Freedom Scientific will use to ensure
compatibility with JAWS before digitally signing the driver.

"

My queestion is:
Is there a danger that the braille display provider will need to develope this
new drivers every time that new version of jaws will be released and ask the
freedom scientific to certify them which may significantly delay the release of
the driver for the market? So in reality braille displays other than freedom
scientific focus may be release with a great delay after new release of jaws or
not released at all, simply because the manufactores won't be  able to catch up
with the development?
I am asking this question because I am considering which braille display to
buy, and I don't like the idea that I would have to wait let us say 6 months
after each new release of jaws to upgrade.
Your answers are greatly appreciated?
Sincerely,
Zdenek