Saturday Musings About JAWS

  • From: "D. J. Mitchell" <mitch44@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "jfw list" <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 05:55:59 -0700

Hi All, I'm just a home user of my computer but have been with JFW since
version 2.0.
My primary use of this technology is simply e mail and Internet sites; basic
uses to be sure.  No Braille, no programming, no banking.  You get the idea.
Like many of you, I have a lot invested in this product including the
numerous    SMA's as needed over the years.
For my meager purposes though, it comes to pass that I am giving further
consideration to sustaining the relentless pace of the SMA's.  I know this
is risky and may cave at the last moment and renew yet again but the
increased sophistication of the product keeps including features that far
exceed my needs or ability to absorb the ever mounting number of keystrokes
associated with many of the applications.
Is there an objective place to go to review other screen readers for cost
and feature comparisons?
At some point, the money saved on SMA renewals could perhaps pay for an
alternative product but I expect all makers are faced with the perpetual
battle against the graphic and mouse intensive Internet.  This option would
also require learning a whole new system but that may be less daunting than
the paces JAWS puts us through.
Just thinking out loud; a very risky thing on a sleepy Saturday morning I
know. <G>
As this whole topic can easily derail into a JAWS bashing session, any
relevant comments to me are welcome at:

mitch44@xxxxxxxxx

Enjoy the weekend, Mitch
CYNIC, n.  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are,

not as they ought to be.  Hence the custom among the Scythians of

plucking out a cynic's eyes to improve his vision.  Ambrose Bierce