Re: SMA policy was: JAWS update now available

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 10:43:14 -0700

Hi Alan,

Glad some of what I said sounded sensible to you. It's just that the same
well of emotionality  seems to surge up every time, and I've found that
consistency worth a ponder, I mean, the poignant complexity of it. My
interest isn't at all abstract, I hope it's clear. Because I know I share a
lot about the mixture of feelings I tried to  discern being at work.

as for the grass-is-greener thing, that's interesting. From the exposure I
have to Window Eyes users on another blind tech support list, I have the
impression that the Window eyes people are mostly happy with their product,
as well as sort of cultish in the way Mac users often are in the non-blind
world of computers. By which I don't mean anything sinister, in this
instance. I never have heard any of the WE folks raging against GW Micro, or
making empty threats that they'll switch to Jaws if someone doesn't start
treating them right. But I assume you know more than I do about Window Eyes
users, somehow, and that some of them aspire to move over to Jaws for one
reason or another. Differences of functionality, I have to suppose.

But wow, what a tiny market, with so few products in competition! Sort of
like having two or three models of cars to choose from in the former Soviet
Union, if you could afford one at all. it's no wonder that there's all this
underlying stress, when you factor in this peculiarity along with the other
stuff.

Well, enough of that, I guess. Back to on-topic concerns.