Re: SMA policy was: JAWS update now available

  • From: "Alan Clendinen" <alanclendinen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 06:15:33 -0400

Daniel,

That was an eloquent description of our dilemma. I would only add that we are
probably suffering from the "grass is always greener on the other side of the
fence" syndrome. Window-Eyes users entertain similar thoughts of switching to
another screen-reader whenever their chosen program gives them fits.

Regards,
Alan

Daniel wrote:
Of course I understand. Every time the list has one of its sporadic shudders
of revulsion against FS, the recurrent question is why not switch. If the
disincentives for voting with consumer feet weren't so formidable as they
actually are, so many of us would by now have become Window eyes users that
list traffic here would be vastly reduced. For better or worse. But mostly,
we don't do that foot-vote, and life goes on until the next time there's
occasion for major complaints about the product and/or the tech support. So
I was just catching the fever of that resentment and tossing in my own two
cents'  worth of distaste for the Empire, the hegemon of this market. and
now the shudder subsides, and we go on, resigned as always.

Which may sound sad or even pathetic, but I think it's okay. The actual sad
part is the resentment between the lines that I think is engendered by
feelings of helplessness and dependency in the face, first, of needing
adaptive assistance at all, which I think is perfectly natural, and has to
be born with or put out of mind for the sake of sanity, and more to the
point, resentment of the dependency on state rehab agencies for their needed
largesse and for their taking the prerogative to favor the product they've
determined to be the safest bet.

anyway, it's all done, now, and we go on, as usual. Which is okay. And FS
will have its way with signing people up and making it hard for them to
defect, at least in re Jaws. So it goes.