Re: Response very slow

  • From: "Sean McMahon" <smcmahon@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 14:21:08 -0700

I think the operating system here is the issue. because I noticed little
difference from when I had 64 vs. 384 MB of ram if I only had jaws and the
Internet running or Jaws and Nortin Running.  I'd see how much free hard Drive
space you have that might be limited and that causes problems because if there's
not enough ram for what you're doing, it uses space there like it's memory.  I
don't know if this applies, but does Win98SE have the drive converter to go from
fat to fat32?  If so and your file system is fat, convert to fat32.  Read the
docs before doing this.  I don't thing you need to re-format first that seems a
little drastic to me.  Someone I know improved there performance by doing this.
If you do and It doesn't work, you can't convert back to fat.  To find out if
you're using fat VS. fat32, go to my computer have your hard drive highlited,
then go to properties.  Go to the general tab and do an insert B to read the
dialog.  It will say the file system as well as free space and a bunch of other
things.  To see what other process are in the background, go to
programs->accessories->tools->system information and use your down arros in the
treeview.  when you open an item, hit F6 to read the items under that treeView.
I'd also get the twiqui utility, I can't really spell that word, but it should
be in the reskit folder of the win98 CD.  Once that's installed there a few
things you can do which might help performance.