Re: Repair on jaws 8 How?

  • From: Chris Skarstad <toonhead@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 00:42:18 -0600

hi. Ok, now we might be getting somewhere. from your message you say this only happens with word in JAWS 8. so clearly, JAWS 8 and word aren't getting along. That's beyond my scope, because I don't usually use word to write things down. You might try biting the bullet and getting ahold of FS tech support and just explain to them exactly what you told us, how JAWS 8 and word don't seem to get along, yet when you use JAWS 7.1 and word together it works fine. If those guys are worth the money they're paid, they *should* be able to help you. Now as for these sticky keys, have you done anything with them? because sticky keys probably aren't the issue here, it's just JAWS being stupid and not acting like it should. I've been using JAWS since 1998 back when version 3.0 was out and I've never once used sticky keys in my daily life, and if I have nobody told me! Clearly this is a JAWS 8 only thing. If you repaired JAWS and it still doesn't read word documents properly, repairing from the CD isn't gonna do any good, because you'd just be running the exact same program and doing the exact same type of thing. All the CD is is a convenience type of thing. it just lets you stick a CD in your drive and do it that way, rather than using the version that's on the website. lots of people seem to think that the version that's on the cd and the one on he website are different, and 99.9% of the time that's nnot really the case. the only thing that's different about the CD version of JAWS you might get when a new version comes out is it has training materials on it, and those can also be downloaded from the website as well, so again, you aren't really gaining anything from re-installing it from the CD. it's just doing the exact same thing you did earlier.

That's about all i have for ya, maybe someone else can help?

At 08:28 PM 2/1/2007, you wrote:

Thank you so much for taking the time to direct me in this repair thing. And its true that we should learn all this stuff up front but how much can a person jam in his brain?

I followed each step, redd the entire repair thing, shut down booted up and reloaded a .doc file in Word and Insert down arrow key will still not read.

Even changed my key board in case it was bad.

So went into Insert F2 managers, to keyboard and to the say all key settings. I reset them as Insert down arrow and it still won't work.

So to check all this out I shut off 8 and started up 7.1 and it works perfect!!!

So what does all this mean for me? Well now, spent a half hour on phone with FS techs yesterday and the one guy took me on a wild goose chase and finally said he cold not help me even do a repair because I did not know where the file was. You gave me perfect directions and it was easy to follow them and I thank you. But still can't get 8 to do what I want it to.

So for now, I'll wait until disks arrive, remove 8 and start over.

But there might be a setting either in sticky keys or ? but this is really getting me upset. I do a lot of research and reading and I only upgraded for the SAPI vvoices, not this hassle.

It looks like that this little problem ain't gonna go away easy, and life won't be the same here until that say all key begins doing its thing for me!

So I'll just make this a challenge for everyone out there and hopefully we'll figure it out.

By the way, when doing a repair, it asks you if you want to load in any other synthesizer , should I add in the sappy or is it already loaded?

So take care all and hope someone can come up with a reasonable reason why say all will not work?

Oh yeah, once I shut down, there came up a really strange voice which spoke up while pc was shutting down and reloaded. It might have said something like speak now or now speak, what the heck was that? Is that something new in jaws 8?

 MMM

MMM