RE: Remote Access Using JAWS

  • From: "Pat L" <PatWJL@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 18:17:30 -0500

Adrian,

It is true that both computers need to have Jaws installed, but only the
home side of the connection needs to have an up to date authorization; Jaws
gets its authorization from the client side of the connection in most
home/work setups.

Your issue probably has more to do with the configuration of the office
computer. In particular, your friend needs to shut down Jaws when she leaves
the office to permit the remote Jaws connection to start properly. In
addition, Jaws should not be configured to start automatically on the work
computer. Instead, there should be a shortcut in the Startup folder in the
Program folder under the Start menu for the user account. Then when your
friend connects from home (and logs in), Jaws will start up, just like any
other program with a shortcut in the Startupfolder for the user.

This stuff can get pretty tricky during the initial setup, even for
experienced IT personnel, mainly due to the startup configuration and fact
that Jaws gets its authorization from the client side of the connection.

I recommend contacting FS support so they can walk your friend (and possibly
IT) through the process. In addition, the Jaws help devotes an entire book
to the Remote access topic. As I said, it can be tricky to set up, but once
it is done, it works quite well.

HTH,
Pat
  _____