Re: Regarding Upgrades

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 18:41:40 -0700

Katherine,

I have to confess I haven't understood anything about your inquiry today.
First of all, for most Jaws users, an SMA is a credit for two upcoming full
new versions of Jaws, including the free patches that may be published
during the life span of each of those version. Under the ILM system of
authorization that's now in force, you can download the same program a
certain number of times before running out of keys, at which point you can
simply ask FS to provide additional keys. This all assumes it's for the same
user, of course.

As for your son, you haven't made clear whether you're intending to install
jaws on his computer as a use of one of your own keys, or whether you've
registered him as a separate user, in which case maybe you mean you bought
an SMA with two credits for him, too? Which of course still leaves one
credit of the five you say you have.

Then, surprisingly, you say that you're using Jaws 6 or something? Why? Is
it that you installed Jaws a long time ago, and haven't kept abreast of the
updates or anything, even though you've paid for them,and never was told how
to upgrade when new releases come out? Or you said you are using version 7?
It's all unusual and hard to make sense of, at least for me. The questions
you're asking just seem extremely unusual, whether you're aware of it or
not, and they leave me wondering what your actual situation is with Jaws.

Further explanation and clarification would be welcome if you feel like
making the effort. It's just hard to tell what the problem is. By the way,
if you had SMA credits for two versions of Jaws that have now come and gone
and didn't use the credits on them, those credits won't roll over to the
latest version. They would be dead now.