From: "Grant Hardy" <grant_hardy@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 7:13 PM
Subject: Questions Regarding Browsing The Web With JAWS

Hello All,

I haven't been around on the list too much this summer but now would like to
post a question that's been bugging me for a long time.  Traditionally, to
activate a link with JAWS on a webpage, one would simply have to arrow or
tab
to this link and then press enter, or press insert+f7 and select the link
from
the links list.  However, there are some sites, like www.gmail.com, that
have
some links that JAWS doesn't seem to recognize as normal links.  For
example,
once I log in to GMail I see something like:
Contacts | Settings | Help | Sign Out
All of these are links, but JAWS reads these as normal text.  Of course,
they
don't appear in the links list and you can't enter on them.  But here's the
interesting part: if you turn off the virtual cursor with insert+z, you can
then tab to these links as you would normally, press enter on them, or even
find them in the links list.  There is just something that these links don't
like about the virtual cursor, smile.  Has anyone been able to activate
these
with the virtual cursor turned on?

Grant