RE: Question about installing jaws on a laptop

  • From: "Renette Bloem" <renette@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 15:47:14 +0200

Stacey

Yes, you have to tell Jaws.

When you work on a desktop computer, you primarily use the numpad block for
Jaws.

When you work on a laptop, there is no such a numpad block.

Therefore the keystroke combinations on a laptop is different to these of a
desktop keyboard.

Example:
To read a line of text when using a desktop computer (or keyboard), the
keystroke is:  insert +numpad 5.

To read a line of text when using a laptop, the keystroke is caps lock +k.

Now what to tell Jaws:
Do the following:
Go to Jaws;
Press alt; (which takes you to the menu bar and to options);
Enter on "basics";
Right arrow until you hear "keyboard layout";
Down arrow until you hear "laptop" layout;
Enter on this.
Learn/use the laptop keystrokes!

Renette