Re: Question: The Virtual Ribbon

  • From: "Tom Lange" <trlange@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 19:28:38 -0700

Hi,
Yes, it's a JAWS 12 feature.  Some people really like it and I can understand
why they do.

But, having said that, you can call me a purist, call me a hard-nose, call me
what you will, while I believe that the so-called "virtual ribbons" may help
some to locate items within the REAL ribbon, I, personally, am not keen on the
virtual ribbons.  Here's why:

1.  Disabling of key tips:  Key tips are those key sequences which, when
pressed, will take you directly to an item within the ribbon and activate it,
no fuss, no muss.  You can't use those with the "virtual ribbons" turned on.

2.  Isolation from the real interface: while the "virtual ribbon" can help you
to understand how the real ribbon system is structured,  you may find yourself
somewhat disoriented if and/or when you have to confront the real thing with
another screen reader (heaven forbid!), or have to describe how a sighted
person might find the item that you're looking for.

Imho, better to spend the time exploring the galleries, the nooks and crannies
of the real ribbon system, and you'll get a better feel of what's going on in
there.  Don't rush: be patient, take your time and really explore: the time you
spend doing this will serve you well. .

Just my couple of pennies worth, not quite factored for inflation, ha ha.

Tom