Re: Punctuation and JAWS

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 16:36:16 -0800

I understand.  I've just accustomed myself to hearing some punctuation
spoken that other people might not like to hear, and if I doubt the syntax
of a sentence or phrase at all, I just stop and examine it word by word at
the place that worried me.  I also have gotten used to figuring out when I'm
reading something that's within single quotes somewhere like the Times, and
so forth, somehow or other.  I'm sorry.  It really is a hassle, just as you
say.  These are just the adjustments I've made in order to accommodate these
imperfections.  But I'm serious that I really prefer to hear some
punctuation actually spoken, though I regret the necessity eecisiity as much
as any sane person would.  But it's better than having jaws sail on and
leave me befuddled, or settling for getting the "general idea."  I'd rather
hear my quotes and such spoken if need be.  I just factor it into my reading
experience and visualize it on the page and feel better, finally, not worse,
thereby.  And these preferences serve me well when I'm writing or editing.
So it's not entirely tragic, just kind of a drag.
From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>