RE: Portico and JAWS

  • From: "Aman Singer" <aman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 14:27:14 -0400

Hi.
        I do that with my laptop. It can be done, but you must keep the fan
outlet of the laptop accessible to the outside (I leave the top of my bag
open and put the laptop in upside down or, rather, frontside back), and it's
preferable to keep the laptop free of encumbrances. Also, you might want to
get a monitoring program for the processor, to make sure it doesn't
overheat. Even with these precautions, I don't know if it's a wise idea. I
do it, and have asked Toshiba, my manufacturer,  about it. They say it
should be fine, and I have noticed no problems. Is it shortening the life of
the laptop? Perhaps, I don't know., as I've only been doing it for a year
and three months. You'll have to weigh the risks against your need for a
smaller solution on your lap or on a table. I use the solution I do
(wireless keyboard and headphones, laptop in bag on the floor), because I
need a small and quick system for classes.
        Aman