RE: Outlook VS Outlook Express

  • From: "Jerry Berrier" <jerry.berrier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 06:00:21 -0500

I've been using Outlook for a few weeks now, Office 2003 running Windows xp.
While I agree that it's not particularly Jaws unfriendly, there are some
quirks that I find irritating, at least in this version.
Even though I set it to disregard the original message when spell-checking a
reply or forward, it insists on checking the entire document.
The auto-complete addresses does not speak as well as in OE.  It
autocompletes, but the address is in the line above the To line, so I
sometimes have to go to the Jaws cursor to read it.
I switched to using Word as my e-mail editor, and that helped some, but not
much.  I also experimented with changing my display resolution, but that did
not totally fix the problem.

If I'm writing a message, and I arrow up to read the line I just wrote, it
often says Blank, and I have to refresh the screen to be able to read it.

I know there's a way to read newsgroups in Outlook, but I've yet to figure
that out.  I tried reading the Help on that topic and following the
instructions, but no luck yet.

In Outlook Express, if I have it set to read messages in plain text, when I
open a message, Jaws starts reading it automatically.  That does not seem to
work in Outlook.

Yes, there are advantages to using Outlook.  It has better message sorting
capabilities, it archives messages, and I think the junk mail catcher works
quite well.

However, at least in the version I'm using, I'm not convinced that it's
worth the effort of switching from good old Outlook Express to Outlook,
unless you're going to be using other features of Outlook along with it's
e-mail program.

Jerry Berrier
108 Bumble Bee Circle
Shrewsbury, MA 01545