Re: Outlook Express spell check edit (Steve Gomez)

Hi everyone. I just tried out Yardbird's suggestion for editing in the OE spellchecker. It works. I mention it because there seemed to be disagreement with his approach, but it's a tremendous time-saver. to reiterate, when OE/JAWS announces a misspelled word or two words run together without a space, do not tab or otherwise move out of that initial field. Although JAWS verbalizes "Read only," it is, in fact, an edit field. In my case, as in Steve's original question, I'd typed two words together without a space between. When it came up in the spell-check, I pressed the end key to reach the last point in the field, then pressed the spacebar and typed the second word. Then I pressed enter and the spell-check resumed. This approach saved me the annoyance of having to get out of spellchecker and locate the word with the search function.

Thanks, Yardbard. The message in which you describe your method appears below.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Steve,
After all this back and forth about this topic that began After all this
discussion about your initial question as to how you can get into that edit
field to simply replace a word that the spell checker has discarded because
you ran two words together and it's too lazy to figure that out and put a
space between them, I realize I didn't say correctly how to fix this.

As I told Judith, I do this so automatically that I, well, you understand.
I should have written two words without a space between them or just
misspelled something purposely, then launched the spell check, and fixed the
problem by I didn't , and then reported back to you. But no, I had to think
I could remember. My bad, as the kids say.

Look, it has nothing to do with tabbing or shift tabbing to get into there.
If spell check is running, and it comes to anything you'd prefer to fix
yourself rather than accept one of the program's suggested corrections, you
are already *in* that place. You just edit!

In other words, if you typed two words together without a space, and the
spell checker's first suggested correction is to simply delete the second
word, you don't press tab or shift tab. You just make sure you're at the
end of the first word, add a space, then type the second word and curse the
spell checker for not being smart enough to just do that by itself, and
wonder when Microsoft may think of making this and the Word spell checker
work the same.

sorry for misinforming you in the first place.