RE: "Omnipage and Jaws"

  • From: "emarquette" <emarquette@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 13:41:00 -0500

I use OmniPage 11 at work, and it works just fine.  It is not as speech
friendly as is Open Book, but, unlike Open Book, it does its thing and
gets out of the way.
I have found it does a pretty good job of breaking down columns.  The
automatic setting does pretty well, but if you know you have a multiple
column document, it does better if you tell it.
You can establish different settings that you can load, depending upon
the format of your document.
Usually, I just use the wizard, which lets you establish settings on the
fly.  The only problem with the wizard is that it insists on "faster"
scans, as opposed to more accurate scans.  I have to switch this every
time, even though the wizards remembers the other settings.
If you have real work to do, operate in an office with other
professionals, and need a powerful scanning tool, OmniPage is
recommended.
If you are retired, are not connected to a network, just hang out at
home, and just want to read books, you're probably better off with Open
Book.

Ed Marquette
930 West 34th St.
Kansas City, MO 64111