Re: Office 2007 Ribbon--was Open office

  • From: Ann Byrne <annakb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 21:13:11 -0600

Tom,

When you get into a dialog on the lower ribbon with shift right arrow, how the heck do you get out of it???

Help!

At 08:52 PM 1/4/2010, you wrote:
Hi,
I was initially really ticked off about the ribbon in Office 2007 but I'm coming to terms with it and making peace with it. Most of what I do is in Word and Outlook, and a bit of Excel; I haven't fiddled about with PowerPoint or Access.

As I examine the ribbon in Word more closely, I've concluded that what seemed to be a random scrambling of widgets and functions is really quite logical. It helps if you select a particular ribbon tab, then, when you get down to the lower portion of the ribbon, pay attention to what you first land on. Then do a series of shift+right arrows and you'll notice function groups. For example, on the Home Tab, the first function group on the lower ribbon is all about clipboard operations, then you get into a group that corresponds to everything in the Font dialog that relates to character formatting. Next you'll see a group related to list formatting, and another for paragraph formatting, and so on. When you get to the group that you want, tab to the desired control and do your thing. The only thing that's stupid about it, really, is the obvious shift+right arrow key conflict that you run into when you hit the Font edit combo. At that point doing a shift+right arrow is confused with an attempt to do text selection, and you can't continue in this way until you tab past the font size control. Check it out and see if it makes sense to you. It does to me.

Oh, and while I'm on the subject, it's nice to see a ton of what are called key tips, which JAWS will tell you about if you're patient enough to get past all the other chatter. Speaking of which, I have what appears to be a very comprehensive list of Word 2007 key tips if anybody wants it. Write me off-list and I'll send you a copy.

Tom

Tom

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave Carlson" <dgcarlson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>