Re: Not getting Character creation with new Jaws update

  • From: Yardbird <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 11:25:51 -0700

Bruce,

I don't know anything about the Internet having something to do with this. I
do know that there's a function in Word itself that offers a whole rich
trove of symbols-- foreign language marks and special characters,
mathematical and scientific symbols, a huge assortment that,if it looks
anything like it used to, is a spread of many items arranged either by table
or by tab page. It's right there in Word. And there may be some Jaws power
user who actually knows how to display this function and manipulate it. But
it was so catch-as-catch-can for me early on with Jaws that I gave up even
trying, and was delighted when someone on a list like this one explained the
Jaws feature that would bring up a limited but for me very adequate list of
symbols you could insert beginning with the keystroke Insert Num Row 4,
which I mentioned in my first post on this subject. my problem has been not
that I'm unaware of that feature in jaws, but simply that it won't work for
me in Word 2000 using Jaws 10, basic version or latest update. I can bring
up the list, so I'm not saying the key combo doesn't work anymore. But if I
arrow to a character I'd like to insert at the cursor location and press
enter,nothing at all is inserted.  This has nothing to do, either, with
wishing I knew the coding trick that will make jaws speak in a foreign
language when it encounters one. I have Jaws set up for that, and it works
fine. This has nothing to do with that. I'm not even sure whether if I could
insert the proper characters at certain points that Jaws would recognize the
word as foreign and switch languages to read it. And I dont' really care
very much, although that would certainly be cool. but it's not what I've
been asking about.reqally , althoughlangage

I hope this clarifies something.