Non-speaking Windows Explorer Files/New submenu

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "JFW List" <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Jaws Lite" <Jawslite@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 21:19:55 -0700

Hi,
As some others have reported recently, I've found that in Jaws 6.0, the New
submenu of the Windows Explorer Files menu won't speak when I open it,
except for the first option, Folder.  And that's only if I do a Say line
(Insert 8).  If I explore the menu with the Jaws cursor, I can see that all
the options are still there.  But it's not functioning normally.
Fortunately, I figured I could open a new text document via that menu if I
want to by just hitting the initial letter T.  I'm aware I could launch
Notepad from the Start menu, as well, but that isn't my point, here.  I'm
trying to get this menu to work right, as it used to before I upgraded to
Jaws 6.

I wrote to Freedom Scientific to tell them about this and ask their help.
The reply advised me to install the 6.1 update, saying that should fix the
glitch.

Well, fine.  But on these lists, at least on the JFW Freelists list, there's
been so much discontent about the 6.1 update, at least the first release of
it before that was supplanted by a second release april 15, that I'm really
hesitant to go to the trouble of downloading and installing it only to be
faced with a host of new bugs and malfunctions.

There hasn't been any more discussion of the 6.1 update lately.  Is that
because everyone who was freaked out by the first release is now satisfied
with the second?

Thanks very much,
Daniel