New Hotmail format bad for JFW

  • From: "Alan Clendinen" <alanclendinen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 16:26:32 -0500

Hello listers,

Have any of you that have a Hotmail account had problems with the latest
format of Hotmail? For example, if you go to the junkmail folder, there used
to be a button labeled "Empty junkmail folder." Now, however, there is no
such button, and they have replaced it with some text that reads, "Empty
Junkmail" and to the left of the text, there is a graphic. I'm using JFW
3.7U, and my attempts to route the JAWS cursor to the pc cursor so I can
click on that graphic are leaving me frustrated. I've only managed to do it
once out of several attempts.

Hotmail has also eliminated the convenient links that were displayed after
logging in. These links would tell you the number of messages in your inbox
without having to go to the inbox. Now you have no choice but to go there to
see if you've got messages.

Hotmail has also made sending messages more inconvenient. It used to have a
"Send" button that could be reached with a single tab after typing your
message. Now, you have to go back to the message header to click on the
send.

Bottom line? The "new and improved Hotmail" is a big step backwards in
screen-reader accessibility.

Alan