Multilingual dictionaries

  • From: "Jerry Neufeld" <jerry.neufeld@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 09:12:36 -0400

Good morning folks.

As a professor of linguistics, I began, years ago, to search for software that
would allow me to move between all the Romance languages with ease, software
that would incorporate extensive vocabularies and grammatical categories.
Unable to find anything satisfactorily accessible, I finally bought software
and modules for French, Spanish, Italian and Portuguese for UltraLingua, a
highly mouse-driven program. Although I took my time to script this program, it
is now fully accessible, enabling instantaneous switching between languages,
depending on the language of the word or expression in focus.

I have not mentioned this before since I did not believe that my older version,
4.3.4, was still available. It turns out that it is. Although UltraLingua is
now up to version 6.1, from what I have been able to discern, the differences
between the newer and older versions are primarily cosmetic, the newer versions
even less accessible than previous ones.

Anyone wishing to obtain these scripts should write to me offline at:
jerry.neufeld@xxxxxxxxxx

Since my scripts are highly specific to version 4.3.4 of UltraLingua, the
UltraLingua application must be the same.  My scripts work well in versions of
JFW 5.x to the most recent, version 9.

Jerry