Re: Mouse Over.

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 10:09:14 -0800

I don't know what the below means, but it doesn't sound like the right
information.  These links are the ones where, if you were sighted and
touched them with your mouse pointer, they'd generate some text that would
describe something about the feature they led to.  It's an increasingly
common feature on many web pages.  Let's say you come upon a link that Jaws
announces is one of these mouse over links.  Let's say you're on Amazon.com.
So the link itself may be labeled "Gift Certificates."  But when you touch
it with a mouse pointer, a cluster of text leaps up like the speech balloon
over a cartoon character's head, if that's a familiar image to at least
some.  It might say, for instance, Don't know what to buy that special
person?  An Amazon gift certificate will let them choose.  Sort of like
that.  I'm sure some of the stuff that pops up is more descriptive and
elaborate, but that's the general idea.

Now, if you go to the tutorial on the Freedom Scientific site called Surf's
Up, you can find a lesson for practicing how to actually get Jaws to read
the material that pops up over one of these links.  it's a little
complicated, and I gave up after one try at the lesson, realizing there
isn't much like that that I really need to see.  But for those interested,
there's where to learn how to actually use these links and see what they do.

But if you don't care about that feature, and just wish Jaws would stop
speaking those extra words upon coming to such a link, there is a method,
using something in the Jaws manager menus, possibly something to do with
verbosity.  I forget.  But anyway, that's sort of what these things really
are.

Hope that helps.