Re: Labels & blank cd's

  • From: "Francis Daniels" <fdaniels@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 08:15:04 -0800

Jack, TerriLynne and listers,

I need to post this, as some listers may get the impression that
non-commercial CD labels are appropriate and not harmful.  This is far from
the case.  Fred Langa's web site (www.langa.com) discusses data loss and
degrading of data due to the solvent in the glue that holds the label on the
CD.  See his article http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2004/2004-12-20.htm on
CD and DVD printers and how long data storage will last with these labels.

In addition, the Council on Library and Information Resources and National
Institute of Standards and Technology
(http://www.clir.org/pubs/reports/pub121/contents.html) lists a guide for
the care and handling of CD data discs that will guide you in using this
medium.  I'm not posting this to blow anyone off; it is a very real concern
if you want your data to survive.

I know a few have explored this issue last month on this list.  The
consensus was that braille labels could be used on the case, but not on the
CD itself.  It will affect the rotation while the CD is in the player.

Francis