Re: Jaws volume

  • From: "Gary King" <w4wkz@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 16:23:12 -0500

Hi Valerie,

There has never been a way to change the volume of JAWS while using a software
synthesizer without changing the volume of other Windows sounds.  Your Daughter
has a couple of options.  She could use an external speech synthesizer to
supply the voice for JAWS, as suggested by another list member.  If she can do
without the notification beep from Sticky Keys, the second option would be to
turn it off by going to Accessibility Options in the Control Panel, activating
the Sticky Keys Settings button under the Keyboard Tab and unchecking the
checkbox for the notification sound.  Of course, without the beep, if she
presses a modifier key by mistake, she won't know it, but it might save her
hearing.

Someone else mentioned a second sound card, but with a laptop, you would have
to get a sound device that worked from a USB port, and such a device usually
disables the onboard sound when it is connected.  If you could find one that
doesn't do this, you could direct JAWS to it and leave the Windows sounds, such
as the Sticky Keys beep, going through the onboard sound chip.

Gary King
w4wkz@xxxxxxxx