Jaws version/edition

  • From: "Richard Benoit" <reb503@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 11:15:41 -0400

Hi all,

I am probably the least adept user of Jaws on this list and have learned a lot of things from all of you that would have taken a lot longer to learn on my own. So thanks to you all.

I think we have to be more precise in the terminology we are using to discuss this subject, so here goes. Edition of Jaws: either Standard or Pro. Version: This is only the number that defines how up-to-date the copy of Jaws is. If we use these terms interchangably there will be misunderstandings as is evident from previous posts.

There are two ways to find the "Edition".
1. Go to www.fsactivate.com and follow the steps. This will require you to enter your serial number.
2. Go to Start then P then J then down arrow to Tools then right arrow then down arrow to ILM Authorization Viewer and enter on this. You will have to wait awhile for the information to be displayed. This method was provided to the list by Anthony a few days ago and although it was accurate it took me awhile to figure out, that is why I have been so detailed.

Both of these procedures will give the "Edition" and other details but not the full "Version" number, only 6.0, 7.0, etc.

I recently purchased a laptop with a Windows XP "Edition" other than Home. This required me to upgrade to Jaws Professional. I was told that it would take up to 48 hours for it to be available for download. I waited the required time, and as I did not have the laptop yet, I intended to install it on two desktops. I downloaded it to one of them three times and as the "Version" numbers are exactly the same and there is no distinction as to "Editions", the only way I knew the difference is the number of upgrades I had remaining. This computer was running XP Home so it would have worked anyway. I finally called FS and they immediately made it possible to download the Jaws Pro. The quention arises, "Does it make any difference which Jaws Edition is on a Windows XP Home machine ?" Probably not, because the additional features of Jaws Pro aren operative anyway.

There is probably a reason, but I don't understand why the "Edition" isn't provided in the "About Jaws" in the Jaws Help menu. All this is probably "much ado about nothing" because I doubt that it is possible to run the wrong "Edition" of Jaws without knowing it, i.e. it will run in demo mode.