Jaws eight won't run under vista.

  • From: "Allison Mervis" <allisonfm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "org, jfw@freelists. " <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 16:01:46 -0400

Hello everyone!
I currently use Jaws nine on my vista machine, but need to also have access to jaws eight in order to use JSonar. In order to insure a clean install, I completely removed jaws nine, including all shared and user settings. I then installed jaws eight. Whenever I tried to run it, however, I wasn't getting any speech. I ran narrator, and it was very sluggish and unresponsive. I finally had a sighted person look at the screen, and was told that there was an error message which said that the application file for jaws had stopped working. After they clicked the ok button, narrator was once again responsive. I reinstalled jaws nine, and it's working beautifully. I can't imagine what could be wrong with jaws eight. I have since tried multiple uninstallations and reinstallations of versions eight and nine with the same results. Any assistance which anyone could provide in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Allison