Re: Jaws doesn't agree about font size

  • From: "ferretdamce83" <ferretdance83@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 08 May 2010 14:38:52 -0400

According to FS, the font size, as spoken by JAWS, is effected by your screen
size and window size. I find this particularly true in Microsoft Word 2007. I
like the setting at 225%, filling up my entire screen (21.7" widescreen
monitor), so I can, if not see the words, at least see white lines on a black
background, making the creation of outlines easier. I'm never sure with Windows
Mail or IE what the font size "really" is, but, from what I can gather, on my
monitor it is spoken one to two points higher than it truly is. The best way to
know how much JAWS is off on the font size is to do some experimentation.
Create a Word document and set the font size differently on a few separate
lines. Then ask JAWS what the font size is. Do this in Windows Mail as well.

Lori in Ohio
------------------------------

From: "Dave Carlson" <dgcarlson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Jaws doesn't agree about font size
Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 09:45:57 -0700

That's a very good question. I suspect that the screen size and resolution,
along with a window being in restored or maximized, or some tiny little
gremlins are all the reasons why it's never reported the correct point size in
Notepad.
I do think that the correct point size is reported in MS-Word and MS-Excel,
however - that's been my experience.

I've just learned to ignore what it tells me in Notepad.

Dave