Re: Jaws and OE Problem

  • From: "Robert Hebert" <roberthebert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 17:11:36 -0800

Well, I have jaws 5.1 as an alternate on my machine so when I had focus issues
in Jaws 8 with o/e--they appeared around the time when I installed i/e 7--I
thought that for some reason that my cursor wasn't wide enough or high enough
to see the entire character.
Fortunately, one of the first settings I looked was cursor options in Jaws 5.1
and low and behold, the caret width was about 2 pixels wider in 5.1 and
furthermore, Jaws 5.1 never lost focus while in o/e so as I mentioned, changing
caret width was very simple to do--I can handle that--so I made the change in
o/e and have not had a problem since.
So whether this change would work for everyone--who knows? I have automatic
updates enabled in XP-2 so there may have been a video driver change but I
doubt it since as I say, the caret setting of Jaws 5.1 worked.
Back in the 70's, I did a lot of scripting for the old IBM screen reader
program (I taught myself through experimentation) but since I have retired my
interests have changed to other things but if I ever have time I might take
scripting up again. In those days, of course, it was called profile writing.
Presently, I enjoy doing many things with my wife here in beautiful Vancouver
B.C. where one can get out of doors darn near every day of the year. So, I have
dropped the techie side and hopefully it will be like that for many years--but
then, you never know!