Jaws Varyables

  • From: "Jack Lowe" <akronjack1982@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 16:05:02 -0500

I wasn't really sure what to title this post.  There are a few points I'd like
to make about all these problems with installing Jaws 6.0.  First, I am no
expert, I'm learning right along with all the rest of you.  But I did have a
few ideas that I wanted to share.  First, I can't say for fact, but I'm willing
to bet that all of the computers at Freedom Scientific are top notch and the
best on the market.  So, When you factor in so many different things with older
computers, it can affect how Jaws will run, or not run.  Things like the video
card you're using.  Or, are you using on board video that came with the
motherboard.  The video drivers.  What other software may be on the computer.
And maybe, the age of the computer and the processors power may also play into
it.  Also, the amount of RAM can factor into how smoothly a computer runs.
Jaws 6.0 is the fastest version of Jaws to date, and if the processor can't
keep up, it may cause problems.  Some of what I'm saying is nothing more than
speculation.  But there are so many systems out there ranging from the brand
new, to the very old.  As well as many, many different types of programs
installed in these computers.  There is bound to be some software conflicts
from time to time.  There are so many variables that factor into how well a
computer works, or doesn't work.  Sometimes having too many dead files in the
registry can slow down a computer as well.  If you use windows XP, I would get
a program called RegScrubXP from the JFW lite web site.  This will clean out
all the junk files from the registry that aren't being used.
These are just my thoughts on all of these Jaws 6.0 issues.  I wish you all
good luck.    Jack