Re: Jaws 9.0 and Mozilla Thunderbird

  • From: Daniel Dalton <daniel.dalton47@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 19:59:20 +1100

Hmmm tb trashed this message for some reason. Not sure why.
I'll try and answer your questions below.

On 23/11/2007 1:06 PM, Dave Van der Molen wrote:
At work, I use Jaws 8.0 with Thunderbird and Windows XP Professional.  I would love to
use the 9.0 beta, but when I enter text in the body of a message, I cannot read what I
have written.  Jaws announces the characters I'm typing, but no text appears on my
braille display, and nothing happens when I use the Jaws "say all" command to
read the text.

I haven't actually bothered with 9. But see the other reply on how to get it to work.

With Jaws 8, I use Daniel Dalton's scripts, but I find that when I allow Thunderbird to
fill in E-mail addresses from my address book as I'm typing text in the "to"
field, things get messy when I'm trying to send to someone who is not in my address book
but whose address starts with the same letter or two as an address in my book.  I have to
delete what Thunderbird automatically fills in and then type the rest of the address.

I am the author of the scripts.
I actually thought that we weren't going to be able to get the menu speaking. I did and it ended up being pretty simple.
-Grab line
-Cut unwanted text off
-Speak the variable

That's not the answer you wanted. But I first created a script that would give me a jaws input box to write an address in. Since the context menu annoyed me when it wouldn't speak.

Anyway if someone isn't in your address book do the following.
Go to the to field.
press control alt shift 1
Type the address as usual.
Hit enter.

I actually use this a lot. It lets you type it into a completely different box. Then it just pastes it where ever your cursor is. So you must be in the actual to box to use it...

Does anyone know of a solution to this?

Let me know if that helps.