RE: JFW-friendly OCR

  • From: "Edward Marquette" <emarquette@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 08:01:58 -0600

I think it may be a bit over the top to accuse FS and other makers of
special products for the visually impaired of ripping off their
customers.
In a free market economy, it is natural to expect a narrow, vertical
market with only few customers to carry products with what appear to be
relatively high prices.  The "special" products and features simply
cannot be sold in sufficient volume to drive the price down.
To get a lower price, one would have to see some kind of subsidy.
Having said that, I think Open Book and its competitors are, in fact,
engaging in a kind of inadvertent subsidy program.
In my opinion, these products are loaded down with junk features that do
not add value for the on-the-job blind person who wants a product to OCR
a document and get out of the way.  I don't want or need separate
speech.  Perhaps that and all those other features, like scanning to a
note taker, are valuable to some, but not to me.  By bundling all that
stuff in one package, I feel I am subsidizing others if I buy the
specially-designed products.
With JFW and Omni Page 12, I can scan directly to Word.  I can even scan
to an image-only PDF file that I can email rather than fax.  That comes
in handy with pictures, graphs, and  hand-writing.
At one time I owned Open Book, but ditched it (originally) in favor of
Text Bridge.
I suppose I am suggesting that FS and others like it offer products at
different prices.  Those who need all the bells and whistles can pay for
them.
Still, what I am saying is really just what I started talking about and
what lots on this list have been complaining about -- charging more for
those who need more.
Alas!  Where is Karl Marx when you need him? <SMILE>

Ed Marquette
930 West 34th St.
Kansas City, MO 64111
(816) 561- 7111