Re: JFW v6: unable to hear any thing when reading documents in adobe acrobat reader v7

  • From: "john r. vaughn" <jrvaughn44@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 12:21:31 -0500

Pranav
Here are some hints on using acrobat 5 and 6 from the Jaws help system.  I
did not upgrade to acrobat 7 yet because I did not know if it was supported
by Jaws.
John
Acrobat/Reader Helpful Hints

Acrobat/Reader Helpful Hints

Most PDF documents created in Adobe Acrobat are now accessible to JAWS. Use
Adobe Acrobat or Reader 5 or 6 to view and hear JAWS read these documents to
you. Periodically you may encounter a poorly structured PDF file, which JAWS
cannot access.

Authoring Considerations

The accessibility of a PDF file depends on how the document was authored.
While JAWS makes PDF documents far more accessible than ever before, some
files
may still not read properly. Information on authoring accessible PDF
documents is available at
http://access.adobe.com.

Content Delivery

If you find that PDF documents load too slowly, you can adjust the content
delivery size of the document to load one page at a time, rather than
the entire document all at once. To adjust your content delivery, open the
Preferences dialog using CTRL+K, and then select the Reader page. On the
Reader
page, go to Content Delivery. Here you can set the minimum document size for

Note: In Acrobat/Reader 5, use the Accessibility page instead of the Reader
page to set the minimum document size for loading a page at a time.

PDF Files on the Internet

JAWS supports PDF reading even when the file is opened within Internet
Explorer. However, you may prefer to display PDF files opened from web pages
with
Acrobat or Reader. To configure Acrobat or Reader to open PDF files accessed
from web pages:
List of 4 items
1. Press CTRL+K to open the Preferences dialog. When the dialog opens, you
are placed in a list box containing several different selections.
2. Press I twice to move to the Internet page. If you are using
Acrobat/Reader 5, press O instead to move to Options.
3. Press ALT+D to move to and clear the Display PDF in Browser check box.
4. Press ENTER to accept the change and close the dialog.
list end

PDF Forms

When reading PDF documents containing form fields, JAWS can speak prompt
information for active controls in two ways:
List of 2 items
. JAWS speaks the MSAA (Microsoft Active Accessibility) provided
information. The MSAA information in a PDF document is created by the author
of the document.
If MSAA information is not available for the control, JAWS states: "MSAA
information is not available."
. JAWS speaks the text that appears to be to the left of the active control.
This text is spoken as the prompt if the active control is an edit field.
JAWS
does not attempt to "guess" the prompt text for other active controls such
as check boxes, radio buttons, etc.
list end

Often, both MSAA provided and on screen prompt information are present for
the same control. You can select which source of this information JAWS uses.
To do this, toggle the setting, Use MSAA for form prompts On or Off. This
can be done in one of two ways:
List of 2 items
. Press CTRL+INSERT+TAB.
. Press INSERT+V to open the verbosity dialog. Arrow to the Use MSAA for
Form Prompts setting, and press SPACEBAR to toggle the setting.
list end

You can now check or clear check boxes with SPACEBAR without entering Forms
Mode.

Creating Custom Labels

You can create custom labels for PDF form fields. JAWS announces this label
when you move to or read the form field. This custom label replaces the
label
assigned by the document author (if any). For more information on creating
custom labels for PDF forms, refer to
Custom Labels.

Tables

JAWS announces the start and end of tables as well as the number of columns
and rows contained within each table. JAWS Table specific commands work
within
tables in PDF documents. For more information about using table specific
commands, refer to
Keystrokes for Working in tables.

Braille and PDF Files

JAWS now supports Structured Mode Braille when pressing TAB to move through
links and/or form fields in PDF documents.

Back alt+b
List of all Supported Applications