RE: JFW and the Intel Centrino processor

  • From: "Chip Orange" <Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 11:05:37 -0500

Which version of jfw?  For all I know they fixed this problem in =
Elloquence, and not in a sound card driver.  The way it was explained to =
me, the software speech generated calls to speak one word at a time to =
the sound device; the sound device, as it was programmed to do, turned =
the sound card off as soon as it was done with all pending tasks.  So, =
with a sentence, it was being turned on/off for each word.

You could fix this with elloquence by having it call the sound device =
with larger units than words, or with the sound driver by adding a small =
timer after last use before turning it off.

In any case it sounds like someone did fix it.

I'm going to buy a thinkpad X40 soon so I'll be able to tell more (let's =
just say that having only one thinkpad in a married house can sometimes =
lead to marital discord!!!).

Chip