RE: JFW and Microsoft Word.

  • From: "Chip Orange" <Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 12:41:50 -0500

Steve,

You've been told how to change the text color by others.  I just want to
mention that while their instructions will work, they're using what's
known as "direct formatting".

It's generally considered better, when possible, to use an alternate way
of doing this called a "style".  Styles are a lot of trouble to learn
how to use, and frankly aren't worth it if you've got a small document,
and you're only having to make these changes to a relatively small
amount of text.

However, if this is a large document or project, you should consider
learning how to mark up the text with a style that you've defined (which
may include a certain color specification).  This gives you the option,
later, to change how the text appears by just changing the definition of
the style rather than finding all the text in the document and editing
it to match your new specifications.

For instance, suppose you're writing a play and you've decided to make
the part spoken by a certain character appear in red.  With direct
formatting you may go through the entire play and mark each spoken part
by this character to appear in red.  You may then find yourself in a
situation where you want to print the play, but don't have access to a
color printer.  If you had used a style, you could easily change it so
that it used bold or italics rather than a color to distinguish the
character's part, and then print it.  Without a style, you'll need to
spend a lot more time (perhaps) changing the document.

Hth,

Chip

=20