JAWS10 how to make one key represent another key?

  • From: "Zhi Huang" <zhi.huang@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 23:52:40 -0800

Hello Everyone,
Recently, I've asked if its possible to make jaws let a specific program use the arrow keys. I would first like to thank all who gave advice on this matter. Unfortunately, I still haven't had any success with this after trying all the suggestions. However, I think I know what might be the problem. In this program an alternative key to the down arrow is the h key. Therefore, one thing I tried is write a script for the down arrow where I first apply the pass key through function and then I tell it to type j by applying the TypeKey function and putting J as the variable. The pass key through part works just fine. But its the second half that isn't working. I was thinking that maybe you can't combine the two, but that might not be the case. Just now I tested something. I tried to write a script where if I press s it would press the j key which is the alternative down arrow key in this program. However, that didn't work either. Therefore, I'm thinking its the matter of me not doing it right. After all this rambling, my question is, If I want to set it where when I press s, it will type j, is the following the way its should be typed? if not I would appreciate it if someone would tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Script MakeSActLikeDownArrow ()

TypeKey ("j")

EndScript

Thank you