JAWS reading Greek

  • From: "Griffiths, Steve" <Steve.Griffiths@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 17:14:03 +0100

I sent this message to the list rather than an individual - apologies,
but in the meantime if anyone has any information on this I'd be
grateful!

Boon,

Having looked at my Word tutorial, here is what I say about it:

As an example, we'll use the Greek symbol pi (I can't put it in a mail
message, as Outlook doesn't recognise it either!)

JAWS does not recognise this symbol.  If you arrow down to a line that
contains it, JAWS will not read it at all.  If you use Control +
RightArrow to read the line one word at a time, JAWS will read it as
"question".  And if you read the line one letter at a time, JAWS will
read it as symbol 112.

While you can add this symbol to JAWS' vocabulary for Word by using the
JAWS dictionary manager, this will not work all the time.  With JAWS
version 3.31, it only works when LeftArrow is used to read the
character; when reading by word or with RightArrow JAWS says "blank".
With JAWS version 3.5, both RightArrow and LeftArrow result in the
correct vocalisation, while reading by word still has JAWS saying
"blank".  From JAWS version 3.7u and onwards, reading by word gives
"question".

I've just had a look with JAWS 6 and 7 and got no better feedback.

There have been a number of messages on the various JAWS mailing lists
on the topic of vocalising Greek characters. They all seem to be along
the lines of "how do I get JAWS to do it" and they get no useful

I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you!

Steve

--
DISCLAIMER:

and any attachments from your system.