RE: JAWS on a thumb drive

  • From: "Brian Giles" <briangiles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 19:16:37 -0700

Hi all,

I decided to set up my thumb drive so all my settings are the way I like
them. I figured out that I can just copy dictionary and configuration files
from my desktop to the thumb drive, which saves me a lot of time configuring
it.

I discovered something else that has made me curious. I have my PAC Mate
display plugged into my desktop, and sometimes will use it with my laptop.
On the FS website where it talks about downloading the thumb drie version,
in the questions and answers it says you cannot use a Braille display. It
advises that you download the desktop version if you need to use Braille.
When I ran JAWS from my thumb drive though, my PM display was working. I
left a few settings at their defaults that I had changed on my desktop, so
the thumb drive was indeed what was running. I wonder if FS quietly updated
the thumb drive version to be able to use a Braille display that has been
set up on a computer already. I can't figure out how else it would've
started giving me Braille output, because I didn't have to tell it that I
was using a PAC Mate display. Anyone else with JAWS on a thumb drive want to
see if this works for them?

Also, I find it odd that FS says you can't use PAC Mate desktop while
running from a thumb drive, yet the option to automatically start PAC Mate
desktop is still there in the thumb drive version. Makes me wonder if you
could in fact use that too.

Brian