JAWS in auto forms mode, particularly in edit fields

  • From: "Patricia" <bcsarah.fan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "JAWS users list" <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 10:15:22 -0800

hi all,

I am working with JAWS 10 now,and am noticing a particular annoyance with auto
forms mode in edit fields. I'd like to know if this is how auto forms mode is
supposed to work, or if it's just me. I tend to navigate through a page with my
arrows, particularly when I'm doing searches or am unfamiliar with a page, as I
have been burned many times when i was younger clicking on links that are
labeled the same but could have completely different content. If I read the
descriptions underneath I am guaranteed to get what i am looking for. Anyway, i
digress. on any pages where there are edit boxes, I find myself getting stuck
in them. where there are searches, like the Google search field, if you arrow
through it starts to read off previous searches that you have done. I try to
get out of forms mode the PC cursor but it doesn't work. Interestingly, now
with auto forms mode when you hit an edit box you can just type, which also now
means that if you've written in an edit field you can now arrow down to it and
review what you have written without having to push enter to get into forms
mode like you used to. But this also creates a situation where you can get
stuck in edit fields with no way ofgetting out of them, unless I'm missing
something?

am I making any sense? it would be easy for me to demonstrate what i'm
experiencing, but my words are failing me this morning.

any help would be great.

Patricia