JAWS and Firefox

  • From: "Stefano Manzi" <stefano.xy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 14:35:03 +0200

Hello. For an appropriate use of JAWS 8 and later with Mozilla Firefox, here
are the issues to follow:
Let's suppose you are using JAWS 9.

1. Open  Start (Left or Right Windows Key). then go to Programs, JAWS 9,
Explore JAWS, Explore Shared Settings.

2. In the list view there's a file named:
config names.ini
Once reached that file, press Enter to open it in a Notepad window.

3. using standard Notepad commands, open a Find window and type the following
string:

;ie7
(pay attention to the punctuation. it's important you write the semi-colon as
first character of the search string).
Now, press the Home key to go at the top of the line.
Press Enter to create a new line.
Press arow up key to go at the new line and write the following string:

firefoxn.nn=firefox

where n.nn is the Firefox version number currently installed on the computer.
So, following the Firefox updates, you must update the number in this line of
config names.ini file.

Here my example.

I use firefox 3.0.8.
So, in the file config names.ini I inserted the following line:

firefox3.0.8=firefox

When there will be - e. g. - firefox 3.1.5, I'll just change its version number
in config names.ini file.

However, after this changement you save the file, close the shared settings
folder, close jaws and reload it; in order to take effect after this
modification.

You will see, then, how properly the insert-f (virtual search) and insert-h
(keystrokes help) will work fine.
Even if for the virtual search I usually press control-insert-f.

Hoping everything was clear, I give you my best greetings

Stefano

msn contact:
stefanoilmilanista@xxxxxxxxxx

skype contact: