Re: JAWS 8.0 and Dectalk PC

  • From: "Adrian Spratt" <A.Spratt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 08:46:08 -0500

Jim,

Later in the thread, you'll see I corrected the subject line. All I care about is that other JAWS users understand that Dectalk Express still functions with JAWS. Dectalk Express addresses all the concerns FS is trying to handle with the new combination of Eloquence and SAPI 5 voices but can't do in one. Dectalk Express is as or more responsive than Eloquence, and the voice quality is pleasing and readily understood even by sighted people unused to synthesized speech. As an external device, it also avoids the sound card problems that people periodically report.

Regards,

Adrian
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Grimsby JR." <jimgrims@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Pardon me but I said nothing what so ever about the dectalk express I said
some thing about the dectalk pc.  The subject for the message in question
reads dectalk pc.  So in this message you clearly are not talking about a
dectalk express.  Unless the subject was in error.  The dectalk pc and the
dectalk express are not and never have been the same thing not now not ever.
I post below an excerpt of what I said on this matter.
A misimpression I think not.
Hi the dectalk pc is not a supported device under windows 2k or xp. Support
for this device dyed with windows 98. she is not going to be able to get
this device working under windows xp or 2k. Thanks hth
Also there is nothing wrong with how fs goes about setting this device up.
You click on add remove there you can add a device or remove a device I see
no problem with this what so ever.  Thanks

I need to correct the impression your messages on this subject have been
leaving. JAWS 8 works fine with Dectalk Express. Barbara's instructions on
how to coordinate the two worked perfectly. The problem is that FS's method isn't intuitive. You need to click on the remove/change Eloquence button in the syntheisizer dialog to reach the other synthesizer options. After that,
it's plain sailing. I use Windows XP.

Adrian
Hi the dectalk pc is not a supported device under windows 2k or xp. Support
for this device dyed with windows 98. she is not going to be able to get
this device working under windows xp or 2k. Thanks hth

If you have any concerns about the list, post received from the list, or the way the list is being run, do not post them to the list. Rather contact the

4:15 PM