  From: Alan Clendinen
  To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Thursday, June 01, 2006 6:45 AM
  Subject: re: JAWS 7.0 and Epson scanner

  Jeanette,

  The person at Freedom Scientific who told you that you could only use
  Omnipage or OpenBook with JFW 7.0 was dead wrong!

  As I wrote in my previous message, I am using Abbyy Fine Reader Pro with JFW
  7.0, with no problem, and I am certain that there are many members of this
  list who are using other OCR programs with JFW 7.0 with no problem.

  As for your question about the most inexpensive OCR software, this depends
  on your expectations of how well you expect the OCR software  to perform.
  Rememver: you get what you pay for. There are freeware OCR programs
  available, but they may not be as accurate in converting scanned text, and
  they may not be as user-friendly as OCR programs you have to pay for. $150
  is not too much for an OCR program; some OCR programs sell for as much as
  $1000.

  If you can find a good OCR program for less than $150, and it supports your
  model of scanner, I say go for it.

  Alan

  Jeanette wrote:
  Alan,
  Thank you for responding. When I called Freedom Scientific they said that
  the only OCR software I could use for Jaws was Omnipage or OpenBook. Were
  they
  wrong? I'm trying to find the cheapest OCR software I could use. Do you know
  of any. Omnipage is $150. Is there OCR software for less?
  Jeanette