RE: JAWS 12 & USB Flash Drives for BARD book machines

  • From: Adrian Spratt <Adrian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 14:04:16 -0500

Humility begets humility. I'll answer to the extent I can, and no doubt
others will add.

The fit into the port is universal.

 The main concern about flash drives is that you purchase one that is blank.
Some have  software   pre installed that requires  an Internet download to
remove.

 Besides a flash drive, I use an SD card that is inserted to a small device
called a reader that, in turn, is inserted into one of your computer's USB
ports.  This arrangement is slightly smaller than my flash drive, but both
stick out of the DTB machine's side. NLS has acknowledged this is a design
defect resulting from its incorrect assumption that users would be relying
on NLS's cartridges.

If you have a problem fitting either a flash drive or SD card/reader combo
into a USB port on your computer, consider buying a USB hub. You insert the
hub's small USB plug into the PC and then place the hub, with its several
ports, in a more open space set apart from your PC.

For flash drives and SD cards,  Kingston is a recognized brand I've been
told to trust, and experience confirms it. I purchased my flash drive from
Radio Shack, but had to go through quite a process to remove the software.
If you buy yours from Radio Shack, again, make sure it is blank.

Price is a moving target. The larger the drive, the cheaper the memory. My
SD cards are all 8 gigs, and they work fine.

NLS states that a 1-gig cartridge carries 92 hours of listening. I assume
that ratio also applies to thumb drives and SD cards.

 BARD  has an  FAQ at:

  <https://nlsbard.loc.gov/NLS/FAQ.html>
https://nlsbard.loc.gov/NLS/FAQ.html

----