Re: JAWS 10 And Laptop

  • From: mostafa almahdy <mostafa.almahdy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 21:49:13 +0300

Hello  Alice
egypt  opened  the arms of  love  for those  who wish to  visit  it.
you would to be  owner  and dear guest.
secondly:
about getting  the laptop  tutorial
i believe that it should be existing there,  even   isn't  currently
installed, you must  hear  as the following:
extra  laptop  keystrokes with JAWS star
you shall to hit  the enter key  in order to download and install it.
in case  you cannot  get  those daisy  Tutorials , i recommendly
suggest   to visit  the following URL:
http://www.freedomscientific.com/training
it should to reach you're cursor  on  the freedomscientific  training
 headquarters.
findout  there  the laptop      tutorial  in diffrent format.
also by the way, in section  below   i  posted   the text  of this
certain  tutorial to you.

Laptop Keystrokes with JAWS®

Why is it that people who use laptop computers with JAWS screen
reading software need a different keyboard layout? The majority of
people who use computers use a full-sized keyboard with a number pad.
Most JAWS users read the screen with keystroke combinations using the
number pad. When doing so, the INSERT key on the number pad is used as
the JAWS Key, or modifier, to create keystrokes that are used in
reading the screen. However, very few laptop systems have keyboards
with a number pad, or if they do, it is not easily used. Therefore,
many of these functions have been shifted to the main section of the
laptop keyboard. Almost all laptops have an INSERT key, and it can be
used in the same way for many reading commands as the INSERT key on a
regular keyboard. However, without a number pad, some keystrokes are
difficult or impossible to use.

For example, here are a few very common screen reading commands that
are difficult to do without a number pad:

        • Say Word, INSERT+NUM PAD 5
        • Spell Word, INSERT+NUM PAD 5 twice quickly
        • Turn on the JAWS cursor, NUM PAD MINUS
        • Route JAWS cursor to PC, INSERT+NUM PAD MINUS
        • Route PC cursor to JAWS, INSERT+NUM PAD PLUS

Even if you use a desktop system or keyboard, you may want to try the
laptop keyboard layout. When using the laptop keyboard layout, most of
the commands are right at your fingertips so you do not need to
continually switch your right hand to the number pad and then back to
the main section of the keyboard. This is a really nice feature, and I
know some experienced JAWS users who prefer laptop layout as opposed
to just desktop layout! You really get the best of BOTH worlds if you
learn the laptop layout with JAWS! If you use a regular keyboard with
laptop layout, not only can you use the INSERT key as a JAWS Key, but
you can also use the CAPS LOCK as a JAWS Key.

In summary, there are three main advantages to always using the laptop
layout with JAWS:

        1. Your hands rarely need to leave the home row position of the
QWERTY keyboard.
        2. Substitute the INSERT key or the CAPS LOCK at any time as a JAWS Key.
        3. If you ever do have to use just a laptop, without a full-sized
keyboard, you already know the keystrokes!

Changing Keyboard Layout

The keyboard layout is changed in the JAWS program window under the
Options menu, in the Basics dialog box. To switch to different
keyboard layouts, choose the following:

        1. Open the Options menu.
        2. Press ENTER on Basics.
        3. Move to the Use Keyboard Layout combo box.
        4. Choose Laptop and not Classic Laptop or any of the other choices.
        5. Press ENTER to activate the OK button and close the Basic Settings
dialog box.

Modifier Key for Laptop Layout

When using the laptop keyboard layout, just substitute the CAPS LOCK
key for the INSERT key. For most of those keystrokes, the INSERT key
works as well, however, you may find the CAPS LOCK key is a very easy
to use substitute. During the course of this lesson, I'll use CAPS
LOCK as much as possible, but feel free to experiment with both.

Some of you might wonder, "OK, doesn't that turn on the CAPS LOCK
then?" and the answer is "No." When using laptop layout with JAWS,
pressing CAPS LOCK one time is treated as a modifier key for screen
reading, so it does not turn on the Caps Lock function. To turn on or
off the Caps Lock function, press CAPS LOCK twice quickly when JAWS is
running with laptop keyboard mode.

Home Row Keys for using the Laptop Layout

Most keyboards have some sort of indicator on the letter F and the
letter J to let you know that is where you place your index fingers to
position them in the home row position. So if you have your hands on
these keys, the home row for most keyboards places the fingers for the
left hand as follows: A (little finger), S (ring finger), D (middle
finger), and F (pointer finger).

For the right hand, the home row position is: J (pointer finger), K
(middle finger), L (ring finger) SEMI-COLON (little finger). By
utilizing the CAPS LOCK in combination with primarily the right hand,
most laptop JAWS users are able to accomplish the same things as
regular desktop JAWS users do using the NUM PAD.

Using Keyboard Help to Describe the Laptop Mode Key Functions

Turn on Keyboard Help mode by pressing CAPS LOCK+1 on the numbers row.
This is a toggle keystroke, so pressing it once turns Keyboard Help on
and pressing it again turns Keyboard Help off. Go ahead and turn
Keyboard Help on now if you haven't done so already and press a few
keystrokes along with me.

NOTE: Press the keystrokes twice quickly when in Keyboard Help mode to
get a more detailed description of what those keystrokes do.

Reading by Characters

Press the following keystrokes for reading by characters and listen to
what Keyboard Help says:

        • CAPS LOCK+M, Prior Character
        • CAPS LOCK+COMMA, Current Character
        • CAPS LOCK+PERIOD, Next Character

Notice that all the character reading keystrokes are in the same row
from left to right. Now move up one row and see what Keyboard Help
says.

Reading by Words

Press the following keystrokes for reading by words and listen to what
Keyboard Help says.

        • CAPS LOCK+J, Prior Word
        • CAPS LOCK+K, Current Word
        • CAPS LOCK+L, Next Word

Notice once more that all the word reading keystrokes are in the same
row from left to right. Additionally, notice that the keystrokes for
reading by words are exactly one row ABOVE the keys in the row below
for character reading. I'll come back to that thought in a moment.

Reading by Lines

Press the following keystrokes for reading by lines and listen to what
Keyboard Help says.

        • CAPS LOCK+U, Prior Line
        • CAPS LOCK+I, Current Line
        • CAPS LOCK+O, Next Line

Again, notice that all of these keystrokes are one row above the keys
for reading by words.

SayAll

The command to read the document from the cursor to the end of the
document is called SayAll. The keystroke is:

        • CAPS LOCK+DOWN ARROW, SayAll
        • CAPS LOCK+ALT+DOWN ARROW, Alternate SayAll

NOTE: If you have the SAPI 5 SayAll command enabled, the Alternate
SayAll feature allows you to perform a SayAll without engaging the
SAPI 5, RealSpeak Solo voices. This may be useful if you do not want
to hear a particular passage spoken in the SAPI 5 voice.

Vertical Orientation?

PRIOR UNIT: This means that pressing CAPS LOCK plus U, J, or M always
reads the prior unit, either prior line, prior word, or prior
character.

CURRENT UNIT: Pressing CAPS LOCK plus I, K, or COMMA always reads the
current unit, either current line, current word, or current character.
Do you sense a pattern here? Your pointer finger of the right hand
controls reading of the prior unit. The middle finger of your right
hand controls reading of the current unit. And guess what? Yes, the
ring finger of your right hand controls reading of the next unit!

NEXT UNIT: Correct! Pressing CAPS LOCK plus O, L, or PERIOD always
reads the next unit, either next line, next word, or next character.

Reading by Sentence

Reading by sentences is one of my favorite ways to read. The
keystrokes are as follows, and these are in a slightly different
location and orientation.

        • CAPS LOCK+Y, Prior Sentence
        • CAPS LOCK+H, Current Sentence
        • CAPS LOCK+N, Next Sentence

Reading by Paragraph

To read by paragraph, use the following keystrokes:

        • CAPS LOCK+CTRL +I, Current Paragraph
        • CTRL+ UP ARROW, Prior Paragraph
        • CTRL+ DOWN ARROW, Next Paragraph

JAWS Cursor and PC Cursor

The keystrokes for activating the various cursors and performing
routing of cursors are as follows:

        • CAPS LOCK+SEMI-COLON, turns on the PC cursor
        • CAPS LOCK+P, turns on the JAWS cursor
        • CAPS LOCK+APOSTROPHE, routes the PC cursor to the JAWS cursor
        • CAPS LOCK+LEFT BRACKET, routes the JAWS cursor to the PC cursor
        • CAPS LOCK+SHIFT+J, Say to Cursor
        • CAPS LOCK+SHIFT+L, Say from Cursor
        • CAPS LOCK+8, Left Mouse Button
        • CAPS LOCK+9, Right Mouse Button
        • CTRL+WINDOWS Key+8, Left Mouse Button Lock
        • CTRL+WINDOWS Key+9, Right Mouse Button Lock
        • CAPS LOCK+CTRL+8, Drag and Drop

Notice that the JAWS cursor is CAPS LOCK+P and that just to the right
of it, is the keystroke to route JAWS to PC.

Also notice that the PC cursor is CAPS LOCK+SEMI-COLON and that just
to the right of it, is the keystroke to route PC to JAWS.

Again, I think once you begin to explore the laptop keyboard layout,
you'll sense a pattern here and it's really pretty easy to use once
you get used to it. Of course, just turn on Keyboard Help to find the
keys you don't remember.

Double-tapping Keystrokes

Double-tapping certain keys causes slightly different behavior.
Pressing the following keystrokes twice quickly:

        • CAPS LOCK+K twice quickly, Spells the current word
        • CAPS LOCK+COMMA twice quickly, Says the current character phonetically
        • CAPS LOCK+SHIFT+J twice quickly, Spells to the cursor
        • CAPS LOCK+SHIFT+L twice quickly, Spells from the cursor
        • CAPS LOCK+I twice quickly, Spells the current line

Complete List of JAWS Keystrokes

Use this link to go to a complete list of JAWS keystrokes, or visit
the JAWS Headquarters page of the Freedom Scientific Web site. The
complete list of JAWS keystrokes HTM file is also located in the
Sample Files folder of this DAISY book.

If you were following along with me, Keyboard Help may be on. For now,
turn off Keyboard Help by pressing CAPS LOCK+1 on the numbers row.

EXERCISE: Open the sample document Saint Pete.rtf and practice a few
reading commands. Find this document in the Sample Files folder where
this DAISY book is installed and also in the following location:
C:\Program Files\Freedom Scientific\Training\JAWS\enu. If you cannot
find this particular document, any document works fine for practice
purposes. Follow along with me and when you are finished, close the
practice document. If you are asked to save any changes, just answer
"no."

NOTE: For the remainder of this DAISY book there is no text. It is audio only.

Last updated 2008/03/24

but am still recommended  you to get it and listen it  with  the
nature   and familiar  human sound of dan clark.
best wishs.
mostafa muhammad taric almahdy.
egyptian  citizen.
skype account: